Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Toys!

While doing some “research” for the Mother/Daughter retreat in April here at camp, I came across a museum I want to visit: Strong National Museum of Play in Rochester, New York. Yeah, I guess I’ve not quite grown up…

Within that museum is the National Toy Hall of Fame. Every year, one to four toys are inducted into the Hall of Fame based upon criteria including widely recognizable, well remembered, has spanned more than one generation and fosters learning and creativity. The only exceptions are toys that have changed toy design or play, even though they may not have been around for a long time or are universally liked. Intrigued, I got a book from the library about the toys in this Hall of Fame.

With Christmas only eight days away, learning about toys is perfect! When I was little, Katey and I would sit for hours with the Sears catalog and initial every item we wanted. As you can well imagine, most of the toy section was covered with M’s and K’s. Sadly, with the invention of the internet, we no longer enjoy Sears catalogs. Equally sadly, I not longer list toys on my list (except board games). But reading this book, I’ve almost considered an exception when it comes to my favorites:

1.      Etch A Sketch: I had one of these for years – nearly decades – before one of the knobs came off and we threw it away. I wasn’t very good at it by any means, but it’s a really neat toy! And when you learn how the thing actually operates, it’s enough to make you go out and buy another for old time’s sake!
2.      Wooden blocks: I had a set of these. In fact, they may still be in the attic somewhere for future grandkids to play with. Recently I saw a set advertised that came in a “puzzle”. Put the 50 blocks together and you get a map of the United States. Listed on the blocks are facts from the states: capital, bird, tree, etc. If it weren’t $100, I would have already bought it.
3.      Board games: Those in the Hall of Fame are Scrabble, Monopoly, Candy Land (the game that led me to the museum’s website), Checkers, Chess and Life. I actually own all but the game of Life (which I don’t like playing anyhow…except on the Wii). One day, though, I would like to get on Ebay and get another Candy Land just like mine…my cards are very worn out!
4.      Erector Set: I played with my dad’s for hours and hours. If I could find some old sets with the really good pieces, I wouldn’t mind having them now. I could still spend hours putting things together!
5.      Mr. Potato Head: Since he did originate from Rhode Island just like I did, we have a special bond! But nothing will ever be like my first Mr. Potato Head that looked like a grandpa next to my sister’s newer one. He even had “grandpa glasses”, which I would wear on my own face out to the grocery store and other public locations. My mother still brings that up at times…perhaps I embarrassed her just a little.


To be honest, it’s hard to choose my favorites from among the 53 toys in the Hall of Fame. I’ve owned (or possessed in the case of a stick or a box) 38 of them. And reading about them brings back lots of fond memories! And makes me wonder what I would suggest for induction into the Hall of Fame. Paperdolls? A sled? Bubbles? Winnie the Pooh?  Or my most favorite toy ever: Little People! I mean, they are the perfect toy. You can play house, school, airport, library, zoo or just about anything with them. Plus, you can put them in order of color, size, hair, freckles or no freckles…well, just ask Katey if you want to know how many ways I can sort Little People! And as much as I think the new ones are adorable, they just don’t sort as well as mine do…


What toy would you put in the Hall of Fame?

No comments:

Post a Comment