Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Memories of...Grace!

Today my sister Grace turns 24 years old, and I thought I’d share some of my favorite memories of her.

  • I was so excited to have another sister on the day she was born, I wore my favorite skirt and red, Scotty dog sweater to school.
  • On her first Christmas, she liked nothing better than standing beside the tree with the jumping jack ornament’s ball in her mouth. (The ornament remained hanging on the tree.)
  • One of her favorite games as a kid was playing switch board operator with the Chinese checker set. (This was thanks to the Deanna Durbin movie For the Love of Mary
  • Ever since she saw Greer Garson in Blossoms in the Dust when she was about six or seven, Grace has wanted to work with orphans. Hopefully, she can go to Kenya soon!
  • No one can read like Grace: put the book on the floor and rotate your way around it – she never could sit still.
  • No one in the world gets as excited about Christmas as Grace. She would get so excited, she would work herself up into a headache!
  • Grace has many great one-liners. She’s very astute with comebacks. But one of my favorites was when she was a little girl and she said of somebody, “Oh, he dropped the pillow.” (Interpretation: He threw in the towel.)
  • Grace longed to be a twin. Ironically, she was the one with the bib that said, “Thank God I’m not a twin.”
  • Grace and I have logged many miles on our bicycles – she was my first workout buddy!
  • Grace spent the one of my summers at Ridgecrest with me. I loved having her there!



To be honest, Grace is one of my favorite sisters. Who knows why, but she has been with me through many things (including many cemeteries she’s suffered through as I roamed). And I am so grateful she is my sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment