Monday, February 17, 2014

The Heat of Winter

So, yes, maybe the title of this blog is a bit of an oxymoron. But spend a winter in Minnesota and you might not think so...

I can officially say I lived in the state of Minnesota during the record-breaking winter of 2014. And we're not talking snowfall. To be honest, we haven't had tons of snow (especially compared to the eastern regions of the nation). But every single inch we have received since November, we still have. Why? Because of the record-breaking cold.

I'm not sure what the count of days was - somewhere in the 40s - but during those days in a row, it was below zero every single one of them. Disclaimer on that: it did rise above zero during the day for at least half of those days. Not much above zero - always single digits - but it might of hit 1 or 2. And it stooped to at least 26 below where I live. And that was during the day. When you come through the entire month of January, plus some of December and half of February with temperatures like that, well...let's just say some perspectives get changed.

Like today it snowed. A lovely wintery snow for the entire morning We probably got about 3 or 4 inches. But best of all, it was 18 degrees when I woke up. EIGHTEEN!!! We're talking heat wave. Just need a light jacket. If they had actually plowed, great temps for a morning run. 44 whole degrees warmer than it had been a month ago.

And tomorrow it is supposed to be 30. It might even get above freezing!!!! I'll have to wear a t-shirt to run in that! Maybe even get my shorts out!

It's a sad reality that no matter where I live, there is always a spring thaw around my birthday. It drives me crazy because I really enjoy having a winter birthday. This year will be same. Instead of hovering around zero, it's supposed to 18 degrees on my birthday. And in Minnesota, that's a spring thaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment