Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Wedding Plans


A few weeks ago, someone asked me if I was getting everything planned for my wedding. “Oh, don’t worry about that,” Aaron told the person. “Melissa will have everything planned and ready weeks before the wedding.” Guess I’ve made an impression over the year I’ve been here…

But I’m no wedding planner. I can make lists til doomsday. And I can organize in my sleep. But centerpieces on a table terrify me. I can look at pictures of dresses and forget what they look like the next moment. My music repertoire is miniscule. And it’s not like I’m just getting married. I’m also moving half way across the country. I have to find a job there…and finish my job here well. I’ve only seen the church we’ll be married in once. My wedding party is scattered from Indiana to New Hampshire. So, yes I have shed a few tears over the past month. But, yes, I have also checked several things off my list. And God has reminded me over and over again how faithful He is down to the smallest detail.

For example: I had enough frequent flier miles to fly home for along weekend at the end of the month. Katey is coming too (and bringing Jay!!!). Abby will be on spring break. All my sisters will be gathered in one place. And we’re going to knock out as much as we can in five days: cake, music, dresses, suits, décor. While Dad tries to save Jay from seven females planning a wedding…

Sally is working with her cake “professor” (she’s studying culinary arts) to make a cake. Jenny is doing all my music (and playing the piano). As she also works for Joseph Banks, we’re getting great deals on the suits! Grace works for Jo Ann’s, so she’s keeping an eye on fabric and ordering that. Katey will be a lifesaver when it comes to décor. Abby is simply there to keep us all in line. And my mom is proving over and over that she is the most wonderful mom in the world. Hasn’t God blessed me with an amazing family?

I discovered after adding a few grey hairs to my head over my taxes (come on, Minnesota, could you possibly add another dozen forms for me to fill out?), the refunds I am praying I get in full will nearly cover my moving expenses. I got a coupon just in time to order my invitations last week. And my dress…well, that’s a story only my Heavenly Father could write.

Yesterday, I went dress “shopping”. That’s a loose term because Mom had agreed to sew my dress, but I wanted to try on things to get the right measurements and make sure the rough idea I had in my head would actually look decent on me. Jaci, Tirzah and Andrea from work joined me. To be honest, they were looking forward to it more than I was. I’m not sure a dress style has ever been prayed over more, but I was asking God to show me exactly what would work and that I would even enjoy it.

Well, as many brides know, there are so many dresses in the world it’s alike a forest one pushes and shoves their way through to find something. I picked out a few to try on and ducked into the dressing room. The first one proved the idea in my head and how I’m actually built weren’t completely in line. The second proved that even more. Then I tried on a funny third one. Then came the fourth dress. And silence fell. Followed by a multitude of chatter. This dress fit like a glove: the perfect length, the perfect waist, the perfect size around the hip, the perfect style. It was a little loose under my arms as I’m not that big up there and it was sleeveless. But everyone agreed it was the dress. The lady dashed off to see what the price was (even though she knew my mom was sewing my dress) and came back.

“Well, I’ve got a deal for you. That dress is $599. But it’s on sale for $149.”

You could have heard a pin drop on that floor.

Where do you find a wedding dress for $149? Especially one that is 95% perfect for you?

The lady set the dress aside for us. We went to lunch. We chatted about this and that. I thought, and prayed, and then texted a picture to my mom which I followed up with a phone call. She agreed I should buy it – she could never make a dress for that little. And she would help me adjust the top so it wouldn’t be sleeveless.

So, guess who has a wedding dress in the back of their closet…anxiously awaiting the arrival of June 7? Isn’t God awesome?!?!?!

Me looking through the forest of wedding gowns.


Jaci, Tirzah, Andrea and me.



Leaving with my dress!



1 comment: