Friday, April 10, 2015

Another English Idiom

I am coming up on a year here in the state of Pennsylvania. And my battle with PennDot continues. Thankfully it has moved from being personal to business. Mostly. I really wish they would put my multiple tax donations (I discovered a new one we have to pay last week!) towards fixing the roads around here – I swear it will be the bumps and potholes that send me into labor any day now.

At work I’m on trial-and-error #3 on what is called an ECMS Overhead Submission. We’re supposed to have one to invoice city and state projects. (Note the operative word “supposed” in that sentence…) As I submitted for the third time my pile of paperwork, I was reminded of the hopeful idiom “Third Time’s the Charm”.

I should probably borrow a book from the library on English idioms. Their mysterious roots are rather fascinating. This one is one that doesn’t have a very firm explanation, except that “threes” are powerful in English. As a writer, you quickly learn the “power of the threes” in describing things. Two words fall short – four words are too many. Three-leaf clovers are lucky. There are proverbs in many languages dealing with the “luck of three”. Perhaps the ultimate explanation of the “charm” behind this number comes in God’s creation of all things. He, Himself, is a Trinity. And He created man to be triune: body, soul and spirit.

One rather amusing explanation behind this idiom is centered around a murderer named John “Babbacombe” Lee who was sentenced to hang in 1885. The executioner tried three times to unsuccessfully hang to death this man. Either he had a really thick neck or the executioner was a novice so his sentence was commuted and, eventually, he was freed. In his case, third time was the charm. However, this story doesn’t seem to have spawned the idiom, versions of which were around long before 1885.

On the other hand, three times doesn’t always bring a charm. Every loosing baseball team in the MLB this opening season week (including the Pittsburgh Pirates) will tell you that. Sometimes, you just strike out.

I just hope that’s not the case with PennDot…

No comments:

Post a Comment