Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Strange Things

I had to run an errand. And, trying to be courageous in this round-about-there-is-no-straight-line-between-point-A-and-point-B city of Pittsburgh, I tried a different route. I’m still amazed that there actually are some hidden treasures in this city despite the atypical view that it’s a steel city that will never completely loose that air of non-refinement.

Like many northeastern areas, Pittsburgh has cemeteries hidden everywhere. All of them are built on hills. (My dad would be pleased to know he could be put anywhere and have a great view on resurrection day.) This cemetery was just like that – the gravestones going up and down the hill in no particular order, a winding road encircling one side of them as it disappeared over the ridge. Since I was driving down a winding road of my own, I couldn’t look as much as I wanted. And I really wanted to look.

Not because I find cemeteries fascinating, which I do. I especially love ones that have crumbling gravestones dating back a few centuries. This one just had an extremely unique feature I was trying to find an explanation for. And didn’t.

The feature? Well, planted right near one of the two stone columns that stood on each side of the entryway was a large, multi-mailbox. You know, the type that apartment complexes have with several boxes, one for each apartment. Only…there was no apartment complex that I could see. Only gravestones in a cemetery.

Puts a whole new spin on “dead letter office”.

No comments:

Post a Comment