Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Reminders

Take it from someone who knows: nothing will prepare you for actually being a mother. Being the oldest of eight certainly helps, but there is a world of difference between raising a little one of your own and being able to pass the kids off to Mom. And if you’re 35 when you become a mom…well, there are quite a few things you’ve forgotten about when your siblings (now all in their twenties) were tiny.

For instance: bath toys. There was a time in my life when the bathtub always had toys around it, in it or near it. I’m sure I couldn’t tell you what they were today, although Katey had one I’ll never forget. It was a huge fish with other little fishes that attached to its side. But it’s been quite a while since my bathtub had anything in it except shampoo, conditioner and various bottles from Bath & Body. Today, however, if you go into our bathroom you will find Emry’s ducks all in a row along the edge, along with her little dolphin. Bath time wouldn’t be half as much fun without them!

I have also been reminded of how much little ones drop when they eat. Thus far Emry hasn’t learned to throw her green beans, or bananas, or Cheerios. A few end up on the floor, but most of them I discover down the sides of her chair. I remember hating the duty of taking the drop cloth outside to shake it off. Tiny bits of chicken, carrots and peas were gross – even if I didn’t have to touch them. Today I pick up stray pears, animal crackers and apple pieces without much thought. Either I’ve matured or I simply don’t care anymore. Probably the latter.

No doubt many other things soon to come in our future will remind me of things I have forgotten about my siblings being babies. Some will make me smile. Others will make me laugh. But that is part of being a mother, too…and a sister!


Emry helping me fold her diapers!

No comments:

Post a Comment