Sunday, May 14, 2017

How Does She Do It?

If you think about it, there are very few human skills that can be marveled at – in the truest sense of the word “marvel”. For with a little time and a lot effort, just about anyone can learn anything. Take drawing, for instance. I say I can’t draw. The truth is, I don’t like drawing. I don’t see the world around me as something that can be drawn. And when I have a blank sheet of paper in front of me, I will fill it with words long before I doodle anything on it. But with lots of time and a whole lot of effort, I could be taught to draw. Not Michelangelo, perhaps, but at least my team might win a Pictionary competition.

But I do spend at least one moment every day marveling – truly marveling – at my mother:

When I’m throwing wet clothes in the laundry because, yet again, Emry was too busy playing ice cream shop to get up and go to the potty. How did my mother potty train eight of us?!?!?!

When it’s raining and Emry is stuck inside all day until she’s driving us both mad. How did my mother deal with eight of us on rainy days when we couldn’t do anything but get on each other’s nerves?!?!?!

When Ethan is up in the middle of the night for no particular reason since he just ate an hour ago. How did my mother live on practically no sleep for twenty or more years?!?!?!

When Ed falls asleep on the couch while I’m trying to feed Ethan, dishes need to be done, clothes need to be folded, Emry is being clingy because she’s tired and I just remember I never did get around to sweeping the floor or balancing the checkbook. My dad is the king of nappers, how did my mother not hit him over the head with a two-by-four for being oblivious to her needing a hand…or three?!?!?!

Going to the store, lugging Ethan out of the car, going around to get Emry and telling her many times to stand by me and not run off into the parking lot…all for a gallon of milk. How did my mother go anywhere with us as it must have taken a half hour to accomplish a five-minute task?!?!?!

This list could go on for eternity for thoughts like this come to my mind at least a half-a-dozen times a day. Thankfully, they are not thoughts of despair. For while I can never hope to be the marvel my mother is, I do know where I get my stubbornness. For as soon as I start asking “How did my mother…?” I think, “If she did it, I can too.”

Happy Mother’s Day, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment