Friday, August 11, 2017

1,000 Books

Over the past couple of years I have thought of starting two other blogs. 1) Why the South rose (not slavery) and the truths history fails to tell. And 2) Books every kid should read. It maybe a while (or never) before I write about the South. As far as the books…

I saw it at the doctor’s office this past week when I took Ethan for this six-month appointment, but I didn’t have a whole lot of time to look at it. But a title like “1,000 Books before Kindergarten” is enough to catch my attention so I will look it up later. It’s a program encouraging parents to read to their young children. They provide a short list of about 120 books of suggestions every kid should read. And then they provide reading logs to record the books read to your kids. The rules are easy: any book counts and you can count them every time you read them. The goal is 1,000 books in the five years before your kid starts school. A lot of local libraries offer prizes for every 100 books, followed by a gift and certificate when1,000 is reached. Pretty simple. And I do love lists and logs!

The truth is, Emry has probably already read 1,000 books. (After all, I’m pretty sure we’ve read Pajama Time! at least 100 times…) But I think this could be an interesting journey – one she can blog about! And so she is.

Our “rules” are simple. We’re not going to count books more than once. Every Saturday, we’re going to blog the list of books she’s read for the week. And every Wednesday we’re going to blog about one of the books from the list the program offers. We’re going to backdate our start date to August 1 as I can remember most of the books we’ve read since then. And we’re just going to see how long it takes us!



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment