Monday, February 5, 2018

The Logical Conclusion

There have been so many times in Emry’s not-yet-three-years on earth that I wonder at what we consider logical. Because, so often, Emry comes to a perfectly logical conclusion on a matter…and yet is quite incorrect.

We have had several discussions on what my name is and what Ed’s name is. Like a child’s address and phone number, children ought to know their parents actual names. For “Mama” is not typed on my birth certificate. And “Papa” is certainly not on our marriage license. It’s been many weeks – maybe months! – since I last discussed names with Emry. And yet a few nights ago she stops in the middle of her play, turns to me and says:

“Mama’s name is Melissa.”

At first I thought I didn’t hear her right, so I asked her to repeat herself.

“Mama’s name is Melissa,” she said.

“Very good, Emry!” I applauded her. “And what is Papa’s name?”

“Ed,” she said.

“Right, Emry!” I said. “Good job!”

But she wasn’t done.

“And Ethan’s name is ‘Brother’,” she continued. “And Emry’s name is ‘Sister’.”

I couldn’t help it. I started laughing. For I could completely follow her logic. In fact, according to the logic classes I had in high school, it was irrefutable.

For if Mama = Melissa and Papa = Ed then Ethan = Brother and Emry = Sister.

Funny how logic works.

No comments:

Post a Comment