Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Brothers

In some dictionary somewhere it must define brothers as, “annoying humans; like to tease; find delight in making their sisters squeal; bothersome.” If I didn’t already know that, I am discovering it yet again with Emry.

It started about two weeks ago when, for some reason, they were both in the back of the same shopping cart. Ethan touched Emry. And Emry told him to stop. So, he touched her again. Anyone with a sibling knows where this is going. I have a sneaky suspicion the whole touching thing has been around since Cain and Abel. “Around” is a good choice of words for that’s exactly what it is. Emry squeals. Ethan, twinkle in his eye, touches her again. And Mama gives her first (of likely what will become a million) lecture on asking Ethan nicely to stop and Ethan actually stopping. Was I talking to myself ? Yes. Of course.

Since then I have observed many similar scenarios. Emry playing nicely. Ethan invading her space. It has become a common cry around here:

“Ethan don’t bodder Emry!”

Followed by squeals as Ethan doesn’t listen. As Ethan touches whatever Emry doesn’t want him to touch. As the more she squeals, the more he becomes a “bodder” (bother). And then he starts to laugh. Because to Ethan it’s all a fun game. The innate joy of being a brother.



My cute little “bodder”.

No comments:

Post a Comment