Thursday, June 14, 2018

The Antics of Kids

Sometimes the writing is on the wall. Literally. Don’t ask me for how long. At first I guessed it had been awhile…until we went to clean it. Pencil? Of course not! Ink? Absolutely. Whatever gave Emry the idea, it had been a few days past before it was noticed. Honestly, I do vacuum upstairs every other week. I simply don’t look at the walls very closely in the hall. It’s a small area, I don’t even bother to turn on the light and, most days, I don’t even put my contacts in. So, it was Ed who noticed. I can’t remember why he was running the vacuum upstairs one day while I was at work, but he turned on the light. And saw it. A beautiful portrait of Emry and some very long lines. On the wall. Because all kids have to draw on the wall at least once. Right?

As any parent knows, parenting can be exhausting. Googling how to get ink off a wall…spending a half hour working on it…thinking about when Ethan will do this…wondering why I have two kids!

But I never wonder long.

On Thursday, we were out later than usual somewhere. By the time I got the kids nearly tucked into bed, it was after 8:30. When I went to closed the curtains, I noticed lightning bugs. My children are usually in bed long before the lightning bugs come out, but since they were still up…well, I couldn’t resist. I took them outside.

It was well worth it. They were enamored. Little bugs that light up, flying about to be caught, and observed, and let go to blink off and on again. Ethan ran about the yard, chasing every blink he saw. After I showed her they wouldn’t hurt her, Emry was able to catch three by herself. It was such a delight to watch them, enraptured by God’s tiny creation of a lightning bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment