Friday, September 14, 2018

My Husband

Today is my husband's birthday. I won't say which one, but if you know how old I am you can figure it out with this one hint: He's five-and-a-half years older than me.

Actually, he doesn't mind his age. Except, perhaps, when I remind him that we'll be in wheelchairs by the time our kids graduate from high school. (Well, okay, let's hope not. But we will be the parents on the sidelines who are asked which kid is our grandchild.). I don't mean to make him feel bad about his age as much as I am thinking aloud of my own. And the grey hairs that seem to multiply the closer I get to forty...

The truth is, I realize that I often take Ed for granted. Anyone will tell you that being married isn't easy. I would have to say that it's harder for me than for him. We were both single for a long time, but I have a much more independent and happy-by-myself disposition. I don't think a moment goes by when he's not happy being married while I would pay big bucks for a whole quiet hour to simply enjoy a good book - alone! And, I confess, sometimes I think I shoulder the whole parenting thing all by myself. After all, am I not the one feeding, dressing, discipling, instructing and generally putting up with our two kids 95% of the time? While most days the answer to that question is a resounding YES!, note the word most.

Just this past week, I was reminded of what a good husband and father Ed is. For he was the one up with our teething Ethan more than once this week so I could roll over and go back to sleep. And the one night Ethan was crying and fussing every half hour (teeth? growing pains? who knows!), Ed was the one who went downstairs to hold and settle him around midnight. Finally settled, it wasn't a few hours later before Ethan was screaming again and Ed cuddled with him on the couch for a couple of hours until he finally dozed off again. That our kids are awake like that is rare, but when they are Ed shoulders the load just as much as I do. And I love him all the more for it.

God has truly blessed me in my marriage. It's not perfect. You'll never find me saying Ed is perfect. But neither am I. We're two sinners who, by God's grace, are trekking this path in life together. And I'm very grateful for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment