Monday, April 22, 2019

Easter

Easter may be the holiday that invokes more memories than any other. As a little girl in Tennessee, one Easter meant a long weekend with all my aunts, uncles and cousins at my grandmother’s timeshare (and my first time in a Jacuzzi). Other Easters meant Easter dinner after church at Grandma’s where we hunted Easter eggs, my grandmother dressed as the Easter bunny. Our first Easter in New Hampshire was white, which was wondrous although I shivered in my new, spring Easter dress. I can still recall to mind many of my new Easter dresses. Dad got each of us girls an orchid corsage each year. And, until this year, we took the kids up to the West End Overlook in Pittsburgh after church to look at the City and take pictures. But the one memory I thought of often this past weekend was Grandma Ogilvie dressed as the Easter bunny…

I think, because, it would be the first year all five grandkids were at my parents’ for an Easter egg hunt. And I couldn’t help but wonder if Mom would dress up like the Easter bunny. She didn’t. She said that costume had not been at my grandmother’s when they were cleaning it out, although they had paused to wonder where it might have gone. Instead, my dad, sister Sally and Ed went out into the chilly, windy Saturday morning to hide the eggs the kids happily discovered and quickly took back inside because even they were cold! Later, they all decorated Easter eggs (and themselves). Back at home after naps, my kids decorated even more eggs. We had to since Emry clearly remembered the whipped cream decorating from last year and kept reminding me about it!

Thankfully, Easter Sunday dawned bright and beautiful. We found a park to take pictures in before church, celebrated Christ’s resurrection with our church family, enjoyed Easter dinner and lots of outdoor fun at my parents after church, took naps and had a small Easter egg hunt in our own backyard before dinner. A good weekend of celebrating.

He is risen indeed!

 The cousins – ready to hunt eggs!


Jay and Emry – the neat decorators.

Curtis and Ethan – the messy decorators!

Decorating eggs with cool whip – nothing tastes better.

More Easter egg hunting!

Dressed to celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment