Saturday, October 10, 2020

I'm not Old - I'm Historic

Turning 40 this year has been a challenge. For that matter, simply living in 2020 has been a challenge. And I don’t think that has anything to do with my age. To be honest, I just can’t figure out how I got to 40. I don’t feel 40. (Most of the time.) I like to think I don’t look 40. (But that’s probably just me being vain.) And I have certainly found that I don’t consider 40 to be old. At least, I’m trying not to.

 

But all that changed this week.

 

The Christmas of 1991, my sister Katey and I were introduced to American Girl dolls when one of my aunts gave Katey the first three Samantha books for Christmas. I have a sneaky suspicion I didn’t get many books that Christmas because I clearly remember devouring all three of them before Christmas day was over. After that, Katey and I checked out every American girl book at the library (which only included Molly, Samantha and Kirsten at the time). We sent in for our free catalog. And even though I was a bit old to get into dolls again, I did secretly want Samantha. (And got her on my 29thbirthday before they retired her…and then brought her back.) We were delighted when Felicity arrived, followed by Addy, and then Kit, Josefina and Kaya. Yes, by now I was well into my teens and twenties. I wasn’t all that happy when Julie came out, for the 1970s aren’t worth reliving even when one didn’t live during them. Cecile and Marie-Grace were an interesting idea. I loved Rebecca and Caroline. I mourned when some of the dolls were retired. I still don’t like the three-book series instead of the six books (although I rejoice that they have finally put pictures back into them). And I’ve actually enjoyed the newer girls of Maryellen, Melody, and Nanea.  Yes. I own all the books. Many of them I have read a multitude of times. I look forward to enjoying them with Emry and Ellyson. And I wonder if they’ll introduce a new historical character and what time period she will live in.

 

Until this week.

 

It was in my inbox. The link to the new historical doll. Who was she? What decade did she represent? What great historical things would she witness? What were her wardrobe and accessories like? I anxiously clicked to discover…

 

And found out that I am not only old…I am now historic.

 

Courtney is the new American Girl doll, a name that truly represents the year she lives in: 1986. She plays video games. She has a pair of jeans almost identical to the ones I wore. She has neon clothes, a Care Bears sleeping bag, a fanny pack, scrunchies, Lisa Frank stickers, and a poofy hair style you can easily sweep over into a side pony tail. In essence, she is me. 


And while I am looking forward to finding out how this girl maneuvered through 1986 (just as I did 34 years ago), all I can say is: Thank You, American Girl Company. As if 2020 couldn’t get any worse, you have now reminded me that I am not only old, I am historic.

No comments:

Post a Comment