Thursday, October 1, 2020

Praying Mantises

In fourth grade, we learned about the praying mantis.  It was probably in our science book, a subject I usually paid only enough attention to in order to pass the test. However, this insect was driven home when in that time period, one of my classmates found one during recess. I recall it being at least four inches long, bright green, and a fascinating ugly. Outside of that, the only thing I remember about that insect is they turn brown as they die.

 

The next time I ran into a praying mantis it was bronzed into a door handle at the Connecticut State Capitol Building. As the state insect, it was so honored along with other state things like the robin (state animal) and mountain laurel (state flower). A bit odd, perhaps, but certainly interesting.

 

After that, I don’t recall seeing a praying mantis again. Until we moved to Indiana. They live by the dozens here. During the late summer, we see them at our house and at my parents. All of them are green, turning brown. Most of them are on the small side, but we’ve seen a couple that are a good three inches. They fascinate Emry and Ethan.

 

And, so, we had a to get a book on them at the library. Emry got to the book first, looking through it one afternoon during her rest time. When she handed me the book the read to them a couple of nights later, she told me, “Mama, one of them looks like a pterodactyl.” I didn’t know what she meant, but I soon found out. And I would say it looks more like the Green Goblin from Spider Man.

 

Did you know that there are over 3,000 praying mantis species? Did you know they are cannibals? Not only do they eat other insects, but they also eat each other. And did you know they come in a variety of colors? The ones that live in the rain forest blend into flowers and not just grass or leaves. The one in the book that was bright green, white and purple is the one Emry called a pterodactyl. I was just as amazed at the pink and white flowery one.


I can’t say I will ever be a praying mantis fan. I am glad they eat the insects I don’t want in my yard. I can’t say I’m thrilled to find out they’re also cannibals. And, to be honest, I find them rather creepy looking. But now I also find them quite fascinating. And a reminder of how great our Creator truly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment