Monday, September 28, 2020

Soccer: Year One Down

Emry has the athletic look and build I wish I had. She also has the fearlessness to try new things I had when I was five. Combined, she proved to make a pretty good soccer player. Which I had supposed she would.

 

Okay, no we’re not ready to take on the World Cup. And the United States Soccer Women’s team being what it is…well, I’m not going to encourage that level of sports. She still doesn’t grasp all the concepts of the game. It will take her a lot of practice to really be good. Playing as a team is always elusive at age five. And she has to get rid of some of her little OCD habits. However, by game 7 of 8, she was a roll. Not only did she achieve eight goals, but she was also playing good defense for the first time. She went after the ball. She took the ball away from the other team. She played a good game.

 

Then game 8 rolled around, and she barely got two goals. She couldn’t seem to get her head in the game, and we had at least two rounds of tears. I didn’t know how we were going to overcome this slump except…well, a trophy works wonders. Her very first trophy! And, boy, was she proud!

 

I’m still not overly fond of soccer, but we’ll probably be back on the field next year. Emry will want to play again, and Ethan will be four so he can also play. All I can say is: watch out world!

 

Our little soccer player.

 

Playing defense.


 

Emry and her friends Autumn and Alexis with their trophies. (And Autumn’s brother Jacob as the photo bomb!)

No comments:

Post a Comment