Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Gingerbread Houses

Like so many artistic things, gingerbread houses are one of those things I can imagine making unique and beautiful. But even if I could see the details of how to make that happen (which I can’t), I would loose interest in trying to make it happen probably after half the roof was finished. The reality is art bores me.

 

Growing up, gingerbread houses were something special we made when Grandpa and Grandma Sturm either visited us for Christmas or we visited them. As that didn’t happen often, I can probably count the number of gingerbread houses I have built on one hand. I seem to recall my siblings and I creating one a Christmas my grandparents were not there. And I know Katey led a gingerbread creation time one Christmas when we lived in New Hampshire which I didn’t contribute to. 

 

However, I certainly don’t want my kids growing up having never created a gingerbread house. And what better way to do it than with friends? Of course, I needed to start small and be very practical about the whole thing. So, we only did small ones…made from graham crackers…and I can’t say the candy selection was huge. But since the kids were only ages two to five and not one of them had ever made a gingerbread house, well, it went over splendidly.

 

First off, my worse fears did not come to fruition. I only broke four or five graham crackers trying to cut them (and only on the last house), and the icing work liked glue (a miracle if ever there was one). I did build all the houses in advance. That was not something I desired to do with five small children, let alone have to deal with the impatience of letting them dry before they could be decorated. So, all the kids had to do was spread the frosting about and pick their candy (most of which I raided from the Emry’s and Ethan’s Halloween hoards). And – yea! Great fun was had by all!

 

Emry and her friend Autumn decorating their houses.

 

Alexis and Jacob decorating their houses while Ethan reaches for yet more candy!

No comments:

Post a Comment