Thursday, November 12, 2020

My Little Helper

I have had several other moms remark around the time Ellyson was born and since that Emry must be a good little helper. It’s a bit like déjà vu. I used to hear other women tell my mom that quite a bit about me. Perhaps sometimes it was true, but I know I didn’t help my mom half as much as I should have.

 

And sometimes Emry is a good little helper. But at the age of five, there isn’t a whole lot she can help with. She can’t carry Ellyson yet, or change her diaper, or get her dressed. She is good about keeping an eye on her for a few minutes if I ask. And she fetches things, or tries to play with Ellyson. In fact, if Ellyson is in the pack-and-play in Emry’s room when Emry awakes in the morning, Emry climbs in with her and you can hear the two of them giggling. Just like sisters!

 

But today I got my first glance of what a help Emry can be as Ellyson gets older. I introduced baby cereal to Elly this week as she seems to be hungry sometimes between feedings. Unlike my other two, Ellyson knew exactly what to do with cereal when I spooned it into her mouth. The first time I fed her, Emry asked if she could feed Elly…and so did Ethan. I let them both try it once, knowing Emry could get good at it while Ethan will never be trusted with that chore. So, when Emry asked today if she could feed Ellyson, I let her try. And she did so well, I just let her to do it while I busied myself with other things. And I must say, it was wonderful to have her help! 

 

Now if only she could feed everyone else, too…

 

Emry feeding Ellyson.

No comments:

Post a Comment