Tuesday, January 12, 2021

My Kids as Late

With the holidays upon us, it’s been a little while since I’ve told stories of what my three little rascals have been up to. Because some days I honestly wish there was such a thing as a dull moment!

 

Emry:

 

She is currently being my little entrepreneur – a trait I certainly want to encourage. One day before the holidays, the weather was quite decent so she and Ethan were outside playing while Ellyson napped. I was in the dining room working when Emry and Ethan dashed in, breathlessly asking me for a hammer and nails. When I asked why they needed those items, Emry informed me they were going to use them on sticks to build…and she presented me with her design. She had carefully drawn a balance beam she wished to build. Not wanting to entirely burst her bubble, I managed to explain how sticks were not going to achieve that design but we could find something to rig up (which we did with some boards and cement blocks). But I also showed her a picture I had on Pinterest where I keep backyard ideas for the day when we will have our own home:

 


She may have looked at the picture for all of twenty seconds before she grabbed Ethan, dashed off to his room, and I then heard them bang out the front door. I went back to work as five or ten minutes passed. Then she came flying back in.

 

“Mama! Come see!”

 

I got up and followed her out to the front patio. She and Ethan had his wooden blocks scattered everywhere and she had built this:

 

 

The landscape architects and park designers I work for were quite impressed!

 

But since landscape architecture is a career that will take years to arrive upon, Emry has meanwhile decided a hot chocolate stand is a good stepping stone. Or, thanks to big tippers like her grandfather, she can at least start saving for college!

 

 

Ethan:

 

We don’t watch the news in our house and we don’t really listen to it either, except the things Ed likes to listen to, or things he and I might say to one another. Hardly things one would think a three-year-old would pay attention to. And yet sometimes it seems they soak in the culture from the air they breathe.

 

One day in December we were driving out to my parents, probably listening to Christmas music which is probably why the subject of a white Christmas came up. While Emry understood the reference to mean a snowy Christmas as she then said something about snow, Ethan apparently had no clue. For when Ed teased me that I am always dreaming of a white Christmas and I readily agreed that I heartily wanted a white Christmas, Ethan piped up:

 

“But, Mama? How about a black Christmas?”

 

So, perhaps hoping that my son will steer clear of a career in politics, we included a tool set on his Christmas list. Actually, we included it because he is forever wanting to get Ed’s tools out and fix just about anything that looks or could potentially become broken. Now that he has his own tool set, though, there aren’t enough things in the world to fix!

 

 

Ellyson:

 

And Elly? Well, she just gets cuter by the day!




No comments:

Post a Comment