Saturday, January 23, 2021

This Week

It would seem 2021 has started slowly, but here we are already nearing the end of January. Perhaps it’s simply because work has been a bit slow for me, something that hasn’t happened for months. I should probably enjoy the reprieve. I doubt it will last long.

 

And things have been mostly normal around our house as well, for which I am grateful. I’m good with no sudden excitement, although I don’t mind thing outside of our normal schedule. On Tuesday, Emry and Ethan had a couple of little friends over for the evening so their parents could have a date night. This visit reminded me of the angst I often experienced as a girl when friends came over and didn’t want to play what I wanted to play. Sometimes it’s funny how long forgotten feelings can come rushing back as if they happened only yesterday.

 

It dawned on me Wednesday when I told Emry the date for her math page that it was Inauguration Day, a fact I stated aloud.

 

“Mama, is that the day you wear green?” she asked, thinking of St. Patrick’s Day.

 

“No, Emry,” I replied. “It’s the day you wear black.”

 

Thankfully, she didn’t pursue that response.

 

And Emry and I both practiced quite a bit for her first on-stage dress rehearsal: me with hair and make-up and Emry her dance piece. I suppose I should be grateful Emry finds such huge delight in make-up because then she’ll also sit still as I wrestle her unruly hair into a bun. But all I see is dollar signs and hurt feelings during her teenage years when make-up will be a “necessity”. Still, it all paid off. She looked adorable as she marched out the door in her Minnie Mouse dance attire, hair and make-up complete (aside from lipstick which we applied later). She was not at all worried about the rehearsal, quite excited that she was going to be on stage! 

 

Unfortunately, we couldn’t go inside and watch her and the live feed was set up at quite a distance, but from what I could see she did really well…and remembered her right from her left. As the other mothers and I waited in the lobby after the dance was over, the girls came giggling down the hall.

 

“Well, no tears!” one mother said.

 

My thoughts exactly.

 


Parenting fail: I didn’t get a picture of her before the rehearsal! And she had pulled out the bun and wiped off the lipstick soon after. So, this is the best one I have, complete with ridiculous masks. She’s the back middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment