Monday, March 15, 2021

Thinking Ahead...Remembering Behind, Part 1

I’m a planner. Just about anyone will tell you that. The fact that a guy I worked with in Minnesota once said, “Oh, Melissa will have the whole thing planned before the end of February,” when someone asked me in January if I could get my wedding planned by June 7 puts that blaringly into focus. You could say I’m a little OCD about planning.

 

Which is why I’ve been thinking about Easter. I tell myself I have to think about Easter now when not only is there Easter to think about by my nephew’s birthday the day before and Emry’s birthday and first dance competition the following Saturday. It’s a lot to prep for, so I have to plan now.

 

One of the best things about Easter is the new dress. I’m not really sure why that’s become a “thing” but almost any woman in America remembers getting at least one new dress for Easter. Usually something springish and pastel. Because even if you lived in New England and it snowed for Easter, one must come to church wearing a cotton pastel dress under your wool coat and hat. (Something I have done multiple times.) In the South even women who wear slacks or more casual wear to church on every other Sunday get decked out in heels, pastel dresses, and maybe even a hat for Easter. It’s tradition.

 

So, while having daughters has its own challenges, there is great joy to be had in new Easter dresses. Emry is now old enough to pick out her own, although I directed the style of dress. And Ellyson is still too young to complain about matching her older sister. And the whole prospect brought back two things: 1) memories of my old Easter dresses, and 2) Easters our little family has celebrated together.


So, over the next couple of weeks I thought I would walk down memory lane a bit. So, enjoy…and try not to laugh too much at styles better left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment