Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Watchwords Part 2

Honestly, I had no idea how “sustainable” I am.

 

More than eight years ago, my sister Katey purchased maternity clothes when she was pregnant with my nephew Jay. Two years later, she would ship those same clothes to me to wear while I was pregnant with Emry. I added a few items to the pile and shipped them all back to Katey the next year when she got pregnant with Curtis. Not long after Curtis was born, she packed them all back up and shipped them to me to wear while pregnant with Ethan. After Ethan, they all got packed away for a while, but nearly three years later were pulled back out for Ellyson. A few items have been added along the way to replace the one so stretched out they simply looked ridiculous. But for the most part, the wardrobe has remained intact for eight years and five kids.

 

A couple of weeks ago I read an article on Meghan Markle. Pregnant with #2 (almost 2 years after her first), the article was all about her photo-op announcement and the dress she wore. A dress she had worn during her first pregnancy. And was now lauded for making it last and wearing it again…even the designer of said dress gushed at how sustainable that is!!!!! Wow!!!! Amazing!!!! #SavetheWorld!!!!

 

I immediately texted my sister to praise her for joining me in the saving the world through our sustainable maternity wardrobe. A whole wardrobe that probably cost less than Meghan Markle’s one dress….and had lasted four times as long. She, like me, had no idea we were being sustainable. We simply thought we were being frugal. I mean, maternity clothes aren’t cheap. Or stylish. Or anything except necessary for four or five months. But if only there were a contest for the most sustainable maternity wardrobes. We’d certainly be contenders, along with almost every other mother in my little, not-remotely-wealthy-just-trying-to-be-a-good-mom circle. And I all can say is:


Meghan Markle: eat your heart out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment