Wednesday, October 27, 2021

What to do When I'm not Working

I’m a bit of a workaholic. The person who brings her work laptop on vacation. The one who wished she had brought it to the hospital when she had her youngest (especially as we couldn’t leave our room for 48 hours!). Or brought it to her father-in-law’s funeral last year to find a bit of sanity in the insanity of those several days. So, when given a forced “vacation” this week…well, I’m rather at a loss on what I’m supposed to do with all my spare time.

 

On Friday, I only worked an hour. I’ve been putting extra hours in earlier in the week so on Friday I can catch up with other stuff. Rather amazingly, I didn’t touch it Saturday. But I opened it Sunday evening to do my weekly Sunday night task and…had no internet connection. In fact, my wireless card wasn’t reading any wifi in the neighborhood (and probably every house has it as I usually see at least a dozen networks). I tried all the basic troubleshooting. And then I stated searching my phone for the more complicated troubleshooting. When absolutely nothing worked, I emailed our IT guy and used my personal laptop to complete my weekly task.

 

On Monday, I spent 2 ½ hours troubleshooting between our in-house IT guru, my own research and a long phone call with our contracted IT people. It wasn’t easy since we only have wireless in the house so I couldn’t get online in another way to allow them access to my laptop. But in the end, even the IT guy concluded: the wireless card was damaged. I could do nothing until it was fixed.

 

Tuesday led to the immediate fix: order an external wireless card. But as that was still going to take two days to arrive at my house, I was left with hours on my hands to fill with…I wasn’t even sure where to start. I had one work task I could accomplish with my personal laptop online, stuff on my work laptop desktop, and a zip drive. A half hour of frustration on a task that would normally take me ten minutes. Same thing today as I continue to wait and hope the wireless card gets here early tomorrow versus late. Meanwhile…

 

It’s strange. I have lots of projects sitting around waiting to get done (blogs to post, various things to fix, documents to print, Christmas things to prepare, etc.), but I wasn’t sure which ones to conquer first. And aside from finally posting blogs, most of them aren’t getting done any faster than I usually get them done between my work hours. I’ve adjusted so well to working hours in a day and conquering tasks in between those hours that having endless hours in which to do them seems to lesson my efficiency. And I still can’t shake the feeling that I really don’t know what to do with myself if I’m not filling every waking moment with something pressing.

 

Basically: I don’t know how to rest and relax very well.

 

Ed keeps saying I’ve earned a few days off. I should sit down or something. Maybe tomorrow I will. I’ve been wanting to call Allyson for weeks but haven’t had time. And now , it seems, I have all the time in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment