Friday, May 8, 2009

Monday
The start of one of the weeks that will prove to be a pinnacle in my life whatever the outcome. With everything that has been going on, I have thought only a little about the upcoming writer’s conference. I printed off a schedule and highlighted all the workshops I wished to attend only to discover I would need to be in six or seven places at once to attend them all. I didn’t know how I was ever going to choose! Then I received an e-mail from the woman who was critiquing a piece of fiction I sent her so I could meet with her at the conference to find out if I can write or not. She invited me to join her workshop, a rather exclusive one (only 20 people) that runs all afternoon (instead of just half) for all three afternoons. It is to be a very intensive time of just about everything a writer needs to know. An answer to unvoiced prayer! And now a great challenge of hard work ahead of me.

Tuesday

I had prayed yesterday that I would hear from the school with an idea of the lesson I have to give to the 4th grade class, confirmation of a hotel room for Thursday night, and directions. I received the e-mail Monday afternoon. I then sent an e-mail to the 4th grade teacher Monday night for clarification on what the kids were studying, especially in history and literature. I waited all day Tuesday for an answer, praying I would get one in time to put something together before I left. After dinner, I checked my e-mail one last time. And there was the e-mail! I tossed together a lesson I intended to practice and improve on my long drive tomorrow.

Wednesday
What an answer to prayer for a good night’s sleep! I awoke refreshed and peaceful, although a little excited, about the trip ahead. I was out the door just before eight as I had hoped. On the minutes and hours ticked by with my CDs playing and the history lesson running through my head as I tried to time what I wanted to say, changing stuff and revamping angles on the whole thing. Through flat Indiana, into flat Ohio. As I approached West Virginia, the scenery changed. Trees! Hundreds and thousands of trees in their spring tresses. Hills! Rolling hills as far as the eyes could see. Into West Virginia, driving through rolling farmland and hills rising higher and higher. Rivers and ravines.

I had never seen so much of West Virginia. I saw things like Marshall University (from the movie We are Marshall) and the capitol of West Virginia with its most amazing capitol building I wish I had had time to stop and investigate. But be forewarned: they charge you in West Virginia for admiring their scenery. I got sick and tired of all the tolls. (Which probably date back to when the rebellious state left Virginia to follow Lincoln…Lincoln and his internal improvements!)

I could not get over the wonder of God’s creation. The trees, the hills, the winding roads, the tunnels. I looked down into a deep ravine one time and felt my stomach lurch a little. It’s been months since I looked down from such a height! And when I stopped to take a break and walk around a bit, I sat in my car for a minute and felt as if it was still moving! (Yes, my parking brake was on – I checked.) I guess I’m not used to winding roads anymore. On into beautiful Virginia which is always a pleasure to drive through. And where gas is less than two dollars, after seeing it for no less than two-twenty something since leaving Indiana. And on into North Carolina, driving east. The hills are no longer as large, but the ground still rolls and there are still spring trees to behold on all sides of the road. Praise God! It has been a lovely trip thus far. The car is going strong, I have practiced my lesson over and over again, I have marveled at God’s creation all day, and I have made great time!

Thursday
Began my day by doing the touristy thing: getting lost. I drove in circles trying to find the Guilford Courthouse Battlefield. I finally did gain my destination and happily spent several hours visiting the museum, watching a film, and driving/hiking about trails seeing where everyone fought and the monuments now set up in memory of those men. I was surprised to find how wooded the battlefield was, although I understood it was a bit less so back in 1781. Still, it must have been a difficult battle to maneuver. In fact, some of the Patriots did get lost, both helping and harming the American cause that day. They distracted some of the British troops elsewhere, but General Green could have used them on the field. For, in case you aren’t up to par on your Revolution history, the Americans lost the battle in spite of great numerical advantage. But it was the Southern Bunker Hill. Cornwallis couldn’t afford to loose so many troops – a full quarter of his men were killed or wounded. This battle edged him out of the Carolinas and onto Yorktown…and surrender.

The drive today towards the most eastern part of North Carolina was rather short, but I made it a little longer by getting lost once again trying to find the hotel. Tonight I will try to get more sleep. Maybe that will help me from getting lost on my drive to Charleston after the interview!

Friday

Well, I first woke up at 2 in the morning to a storm: lightning, thunder, wind, hard rain and even some hail. Thankfully it lasted only ten minutes. Then I went back to sleep for over five more hours. Although I didn’t exactly feel nervous this morning, I guess I was because I couldn’t sit still. I went to the fitness room and jogged, ate breakfast, did a few odd things, showered and checked out of the hotel. Then I drove around a bit, finally settling at Barnes and Noble to get some odd things done for the writer’s conference. Then I got up, took a deep breath, got in my car and drove to the school.

Truly, the Lord was with me today. I didn’t know how I was going to feel, but I thought it would be much worse. The secretary gave me a tour of the school. Then I was invited to teach the 4th grade class: 22 enthusiastic kids who were delighted to have a guest. They were very eager, willingly answering my questions and joining me in demonstrating the time zones on paper clocks I had made. It was great fun to be with them. I enjoyed them a lot.

Afterwards I interviewed with the three teachers, which went very well. They were very nice and open. I was glad to meet them and see how well they work together, for they are the three whose “team” I would join. I was happy to know that if this job was offered to me, I would have a support team to learn from. It was a good meeting. I then met with the headmaster. Where I found out the teachers were very impressed with the way I teach. And it looks like I am one of two choices for the position. I was a bit surprised, but so thankful for the Lord’s grace and leading in my life.

Now I am in Charleston. Chatting away with my friend Danielle and her roommate Stephanie. Ready to enjoy a bit of vacation and fun before the writer’s conference. What a week of the Lord’s faithfulness!

No comments:

Post a Comment