Saturday, May 30, 2009

Application

What is the sense in learning something if you do not apply it? We ask that a lot in our lives, especially when we’re in high school. What good is algebra to my future? I’m not planning on being a doctor, so who cares about the systems of the body? What good will it do me to know the date the Revolution ended? “Youth is wasted on the young,” someone once said. Often that is the case.

So this past week I have been attempting to apply what I learned last week at the writer’s conference. I’ve hardly scraped the surface, but here are a few of my attempts:

  • Typed all my notes up – a very good review of so much I had already forgotten!
  • E-mailed a woman whose workshop I was unable to take and asked for her handouts. Twelve of them! I’ve downloaded them, but I still have to read them.
  • Edited the first three chapters of my book, correcting the many things that were pointed out to me. The next twelve chapters, I’m on my own!
  • Started a short story…well, started taking a piece from my book to make into a short story. 1,800 words isn’t a lot…
  • Downloaded Microsoft Reader and all the plug-ins I need to have it read my manuscripts to me aloud. Took me an hour or more to get it all in working order, but it works great…except when I stop to laugh at the monotone voice and the mistakes it makes! Then I’m about two sentences behind.
  • Edited two chapters of the Civil War book and wrote out what my “partner” Mrs. Harris needs to look for as she edits. I’m working on part one and she on part two – then we’re going to switch. Wish I had an editing partner for all my work!
  • Tossed everything else in my laptop case so I can take housesitting with me next week. I hope to make my way through the pile, but no promises.
  • Joined a writer’s group at the local Christian bookstore. My first meeting is tonight. I’m not sure what to expect, but I learned that even the most successful writers are part of a writer’s/critique group. So I’ve “screwed my courage to the sticking place”, and we’ll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment