Monday, June 1, 2009

“You lived to die…”

So go the words of a song we sung at the writer’s conference – those four little words capturing my attention. They spoke of Christ, coming to earth to live, only to die. That was the purpose. He was born to mankind, walked this difficult earth, and died for our sins. Three days later He rose again – conquering sin and death on our behalf.

But as I thought about these words, it came to me that we all live to die. For – unless Christ returns before our end – we will all see death. Therefore, we live in order to die. Quite simple, really.

I’m sure you’ve been asked the question: “If you died tomorrow, what would you do today?” Read War and Peace? Sky dive? See Paris? Go on a picnic with your family? Write your will and set your affairs in order? We would all say and do something different. And the truth is, you will die…some tomorrow.

I think a more important question is: “Since I am going to die, how am I living until that day?” Christ lived to die. Every day had meaning and purpose. He had His eyes set upon the cross. You live to die. Whether you think about it or not, your eyes are set upon a gravestone in a cemetery. Until you get there, does your life have meaning and purpose?

It’s a question I have to ask myself. What am I doing today that gives purpose? What am I doing today that glorifies my God? Do I live as my Savior?

No comments:

Post a Comment