Monday, June 8, 2009

Locked Out

Okay, I admit to moments of stupidity…moments that come more and more often the older I get. I had one yesterday.

These moments always seem to come when I think I have it all together. On a Sunday morning when I am driving to church that means purse, keys, cell phone, Bible and hat. But this Sunday I was headed to church from a new direction, so it should have also meant directions. Of course, I forgot them. I walked out of the house I’m housesitting at, locked the backdoor behind me, went to my car and realized I didn’t have the directions. I tried to replay them aloud to Grace (for they really weren’t that difficult), but then I decided I would rather be safe than sorry. I turned to go back inside and get them…when I remembered I didn’t have the house key.

I don’t know what you do in moments like these, but I rush through my options like I’m reading a multiple choice question:

A) There must be a hidden key somewhere – find it.
B) Call the Elliotts and ask where the hidden key is – except I don’t have their phone number in my cell phone.
C) The Elliotts son attends the church and Ryan must have a key – worse comes to worse, I can follow his family home and get it.
D) Panic – and pray!

I chose A with a mix of D. Grace and I started the hunt, while I prayed the Lord would have mercy on my stupidity and we would find a key. Well, we didn’t find a key but the Lord did have mercy on my stupidity. I “just happened” to try the backdoor – it opened! Thank God for old houses with doors that don’t shut properly!

That morning I had been reading from 1 Kings 10. It’s the passage that contains the downfall of Solomon: his gazillion wives, his turning from God, his gathering of horses and prosperity. God warns him that his kingdom will be split into two – but in God’s mercy, it will not happen in Solomon’s lifetime and nor will God take the complete nation of Israel from the line of David. I had been thinking about how stupid Solomon was, and I had been considering how often I also sin again and again. Yet how merciful and gracious is my God! I admit, I had been thinking more about how sinful I am than how merciful God is, so God decided to teach me a little lesson. For I am as sinful and stupid as the day is long, but what does it matter when my God’s mercies are new every morning? And that is what I need to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment