Monday, May 18, 2009

The past weeks have seemed quite busy…certainly never a dull moment. The job interview, visiting Charleston, visiting Greenville…now I have reached the original purpose of this excursion: the writer’s conference!

I could scribble on and on about what I have learned in just a day and a half, but the truth is I haven’t quite processed it all. Nor do I have time to write, which seems a bit ironical considering this is a writer’s conference. For I am not the devoted blogger so many of the attendees here seem to be. I would rather get a little sleep than stay up until midnight or the wee hours of the morning pecking away at my keyboard, trying to process in a tired brain exactly everything I took in over the last eighteen or so hours. So…

Let’s just say I’m enjoying myself. I’ve met a lot of interesting people, most of them quite talkative and friendly, which is nice because I much prefer to sit and listen to them all talk. I learn so much! I have had my work critiqued and was told something wonderful: I really, truly can write! Everything about the publishing world is still a little confusing after only one beginners session, but there are three more to go. My afternoon session is awesome, and I know it will continue to be. The keynote speakers have been very encouraging. An added bonus was seeing a lot of the guys from camp across the way at lunch today, already here preparing for the summer to come. And, you simply cannot beat these gorgeous mountains.

So while I don’t yet have a great deal to say about all the wonderful things I have learned that I hope will improve my writing and push me in the direction of publishing; just know I will probably have a lot to say later on.

2 comments: