Monday, September 6, 2010

A Laborious Labor Day

To me, Labor Day has always been an oxymoron. I didn’t understand it at all as a kid. Why do we not work on a day set aside for labor?


Well, most of us don’t work. I happen to be sitting in the office. And I’m not alone. The nurses are all working today. But it’s quiet. And there was no traffic this morning! Can’t beat that.

I could have taken today off, but I’m headed on vacation bright and early (well, early…it won’t be very bright at 4:30 in the morning) Wednesday morning. I’m heading to South Dakota. And I’m very excited about it. For one, I’ve never been there. It will be my first time to see the northwest part of the US. I’ve read a lot about it and seen pictures, but there’s nothing like seeing it with your own two eyes. And I love seeing places I’ve always wanted to see (like Mt. Rushmore), and I like to travel.


Secondly, my family will be there. Mom, Dad, Sally, Grace, Jenny, Abby and Caleb leave Indiana tomorrow to drive up there. We’ve rented a cabin in Deadwood (yes, of Calamity Jane and Wild Bill Hickock fame) that looks really nice from the pictures. We plan to see Mt. Rushmore, do some hiking, explore a cave and drive over to Wyoming just to say we’ve been there. Plus play games, watch movies, and do nothing of any great importance. I can’t wait!


So, I will spend my Labor Day laboring. Because I intend to spend the rest of the week doing anything but.

1 comment:

  1. I know the Doris Day-Howard Keel movie is nothing like the real Calamity Jane story, BUT its my favourite movie in the whole world. I've very excited for you!!! I would like to hear if you would give half of Deadwood city, for the whole of Illinois?

    ReplyDelete