Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Texas Thankfulness #1

Recently someone told me they just wish I could be happy about living in Texas. And while there are times I am certainly not happy, there were times when I was also not happy in New Hampshire. Or Indiana. Or North Carolina. But where in the Bible does it say we are called to be happy? We are told to be content, joyful, thankful. Some days I do want to see mountains and hills so bad it hurts. I’m going to miss the fall foliage enough to make me cry. And when winter rolls around (or does it even come to Texas?), I will stomp my feet when it is 80 degrees outside. When all is said and done – yes! – I want out of Texas. But that does not mean God has not given me much to be thankful for here. And just to prove it, every week until Thanksgiving, I am going to write on one of them.


My church. Some of you may remember when I first moved to Indiana. My family visited at least a dozen churches before we settled with the first one we visited. (Isn’t that how it always works?) When I moved down here, I prayed hard that I would not have to do that. I prayed the Lord would lead me to the right church right away. For visiting churches is trying as a family – I did not want to do it alone. Even going to church alone is difficult some Sundays.


So, I did my research. (Isn’t the internet great?) And kept returning to a particular one. It is 40 miles away, but off I went. And loved it. The preaching is wonderful, the doctrine and theology where mine own is, and two of the first four Sundays I visited the choir sang hymns I know and love from my church in New Hampshire. I knew God had led me wanted me to be a part of.


Of course, it takes three years to say hello. That seems especially so in a church – and even more especially so when you are single. And even more – more – especially so when you are thirty and single, for it seems people look at you and wonder what’s wrong that no man has ever given you the time of day. (Did I mention I have two heads?) But, I take just as much blame on myself. I’m very sensitive about forever being the new kid on the block. I’m shy in many ways, and I never want to intrude into a conversation lest I be a bother. All the same, I have found friends there. People always ask how I am doing. I know this family of Christ here would be by my side if I needed them. And isn’t that what members of the same body do?

No comments:

Post a Comment