Saturday, October 2, 2010

Truly, Laughter is a Good Medicine

It's been one of those weeks. I have a project on my desk that is HUGE and TIME CONSUMING. My boss warned me last week not to be the silent sufferer - which is my nature. If I got overwhelmed, he wanted to know. Well, he found out Friday afternoon about 4 o'clock. I didn't tell him I had hit my overwhelming point, but I think he got the picture.

Honestly, I didn't start Friday that way and it wasn't heading towards ending that way...until 4 o'clock. That's when my boss stepped into the office for the first time all day and I began to hear "Melissa..." every ten minutes. And every time I heard the name my father so kindly bestowed upon me over 30 years ago, it was followed by another project that will take at least an hour to complete or is impossible. But, of course, I am the office manager. Therefore I do the impossible...or that is what my boss seems to think at times. I'd like to see him wring money out of a the government.

Or complete the project he landed on my desk by October 13...in between billing, answering the phone, jumping up every fifteen minutes to "save the world" and smile while doing it all. Because it's not going to happen. The problem is, he doesn't understand what doing this project means. He thinks you simply push a button and 900 pages sort themselves with page numbers. God creates order by His voice. Office managers do not. Which my boss will discover on Monday when we have a little talk.

So I entered my weekend frustrated and not a little upset. Sorely in need of a little rest and laughter. That night, I received some really good news I could rejoice in. And, today, my friend Jenny and I went to see the movie You Again. I laughed until my sides ached. And I forgot all the concerns that will hit me upside the head bright and early Monday morning.

Laughter does amazing things, doesn't it? What an amazing gift from our Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment