Monday, October 11, 2010

Texas Thankfulness #3

Okay, so I can truly say I am thankful for my job, but anyone who knows me even a little knows I don't want to be doing this for the rest of my life...or even for the next two years. I've realized many times since I got here why I got burned out of office work the first time. The problem is, I'm good at it. I could do it in my sleep. Which is frustrating. Why can't I be good at something besides putting things in alphabetical order? Besides all that, the healthcare business is a racket. Sincere people try to do their jobs to help others while I wrestle with the government and insurance companies so they can. Who willingly goes into this? So, I'm not enthusiastic about what I do eight hours of the day, but I am very, very thankful for...

My co-workers. They have made this job worth while. They are supportive of me, help me understand things, laugh with me when I'm trying to read H&Ps (history and physicals) or write downs medications, and they truly appreciate what I do. They've become friends. And I'll give you a little glimpse of them.

Jay Harris is my boss and I had to learn to work with him more than any of the others. His daughter tells me he shouldn't be bothered before noon, and she's right. I've also learned if something happens to let him blow off the steam and then everything will be right as rain. And he takes me out to lunch before I leave town every time - I think to bribe me back. For he knows the day is coming when my resignation will be on his desk...and dreads it.

Dinah is the director of nurses We've become great friends since we're in the office the most. I hear all about her kids and grandkids, ask about the movies she's seen, and she helps me with my paperwork when I lag behind because of huge projects, and is there to answer all my questions. The other nurses are Jill, Debbie, Valerie, Angela, Laura, Mychelle and Gayle. Jill is a nut. She never fails to make me laugh and the stories she tells about her patient's families are like soap operas. Debbie is one of my favorites, probably because she is black and white. You don't mess with her, yet her patient's adore her. Valerie is the drama queen, which is hard to deal with at times, but you have to like her. Angela and Laura are the newest nurses and the youngest. Angela is several years older than me and has just moved to hospice from the ICU. She has lots of knowledge, but she doesn't spout it off and is willing to learn. Laura is the youngest at only 24, but she so sweet and kind the patient's adore her. Mychelle is the on-call nurse and the one I know the least, but she's very thorough which I love because I need to know things that happen when I'm in bed at night. As for Gayle, if you're going to die, you want her as your nurse. I have never met a sweeter woman in my life.

The others we work with are CNAs, which I have learned are a dime a dozen. Not a week passes when I don't get a call from a CNA looking for a job. And the ones we have seem to come and go, so I don't get to know them as well. But a few of them I know and like. Ellen and I talk almost every morning about whatever. Perla spoils me - and everyone else. Janelle you just have to like because she is so open and friendly. And Louise is worthy of admiration...for she is 71 years old and still does this job part time.

Then there are the chaplains and the social worker. It might surprise you to know that hospice companies are required by law to have a chaplain and do a spiritual assessment even if the patient refuses chaplain services. We have two: Mike and Bob. And they are as different as night and day in their personalities, although not their theology. Mike is loud and friendly. Bob is quiet and subdued. I enjoy chatting with both of them, often discussing Scripture and doctrine. Today Mike and I discussed divorce (which we agree on). And then there is Jane, who is about 27 and new at her job but very good at it. At times she seems a bit overwhelmed, but I would be too if I had her job. Still, she is very cheerful and helpful.

And, outside of the hospice business, there is a home care business in the office which is just starting up and I have helped with on occasion. Tori is the DON, RN and Administrator. A former hospice nurse, she spends most of the time spinning circles as she tries to get this business on its feet. But I have learned she wouldn't know what to do with herself if she wasn't dizzy. And she has one nurse, Julie, who I am still getting to know but is nice and a great asset to Tori.

Those are the people I work with. The people who keep me in this office. The people that make me laugh when I want to cry, teach me things I've no clue about, and help me to be a success. Praise God for great co-workers!

No comments:

Post a Comment