Monday, December 20, 2010

For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace... 1 Corinthians 14:33

I was reading a book a few weeks ago that reminded me of this great truth. And gave me great comfort. For what I had going on my life seemed confusing, but I didn't feel confused. In fact, I was at perfect peace. A confirmation to me that everything going on was in the hands of my loving Heavenly Father.

But this weekend was another matter. I could say, well, I'm a bit sick. For the first time in I don't know how many years, I have a real all-out cold. Sore throat, sinus congestion, sneezing, blowing of the nose - and lots of washing my hands. A friend and I had a disagreement this week that wasn't very pleasant, so I had that on my mind. And something I really wanted didn't happen. It shouldn't have mattered but stretched out on the couch in front of a roaring fire with It's a Wonderful Life playing on the television, it did matter. So I woke up Sunday morning a bit frustrated and cranky. I don't think God appreciated what I had to say that morning. For that matter, I didn't appreciate it. Off to church I went in a foul mood, half-heartedly praying for a "word in season".

Then the pastor rose to the pulpit, told us to turn to Galatians 4 and announced the title of his sermon: "God's Perfect Timing". I could have closed my Bible and gone home right then with a soaring heart, humbled that God answered my half-hearted prayer for a Word.

Laying on the couch in front of yet another fire that afternoon, I realized what I had done that weekend. I had taken my eyes off my God. Off the One who gives me my blessings. Off the One who loves me more than anyone ever will. And once I did that, I lost my center. I started looking at myself, my failings, what had not happened...and stumbled into a state of confusion. A place where God is not. And so no hope dwells. It's a miserable place.

I prayed this weekend that the Lord would give me a prayer for the week. And now I have it: that my focus will remain on my God. Exactly where it belongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment