Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A Time to be Thankful


You may know the name Matthew Henry. He wrote (along with a few scholars as he died before it was completed) and excellent set of commentaries on the Bible. Once, he was robbed of his wallet. Knowing how he ought to give thanks for all things, he wrote (in true Matthew Henry style):

“Let me be thankful, first, because he never robbed me before; second, because although he took my purse, he did not take my life; third, because although he took all I possessed, it was not much; and fourth, because it was I who was robbed, not I who robbed.”

It is that time of year when we focus on being thankful, although, like Matthew Henry, we know it is our duty to be always thankful in all things. And so I shall be thankful:

First, because although I can’t remember the last time I saw rain, water still comes out of the faucet when I turn it on.

Second, because although Texas is not far from the equator, it is not directly on it.

Third, because although Texans don’t see to care who crosses into their border, they also don’t care who crosses back over it.

And fourth, because although I have now lived in Texas three times, I was not born here.

No comments:

Post a Comment