Thursday, May 30, 2013

Field Trip!

I knew my job here at camp would include a lot of variety – something I was looking for in a job. But, being every a good office employee, I never imagined it would include field trips!

Today, Lisa took me on a tour of Long Prairie, a good-size little town about 25 miles northwest of camp. (When I say “good-size” I mean a population of just over 4,000 – ten times larger than most towns around here, including the one I live in.) The point of this field trip was to see some sites she hopes to give a tour of during our two women’s retreats this fall. It was a fun day and very educational. Just like a field trip should be, right?

First stops: Amish farms. I didn’t realize there were so many Amish up here, but there are – complete with their buggies, and white houses, and farms, and wonderfully crafted woodwork. Since the Amish don’t have electricity and, therefore, no internet, Lisa found these on the Long Prairie Chamber of Commerce. That equals surprises.

For instance, at the first one there were two vans in the driveway and the girl that came out to greet us wore jeans and a shirt a little too short. Now, granted, this particular Amish family have been “enlightened” and are somewhat “shunned” by their old neighbors. But this enlightened? Thankfully, no (although they do now drive vehicles). The Amish family was up in Michigan helping at a camp for a year. The family living there were former missionaries watching the house and working with Hispanics around the state. However, we did get to see the woodwork of the Amish man: coffins. He does those almost exclusively now. I have to say they were VERY beautiful. And, although expensive for something you just bury in the ground, cheaper than most.

After a stop at a farm that no longer does woodwork, we were led to the shop just up the street. The owner wasn’t there, but his brother was working on a set of drawers. We looked around at the beautiful pieces: a gun showcase that wasn’t complete (no windows or lights yet), a lovely desk with lots of cubby holes, a dining room table set just the style I would love, and – my dad will LOVE this – a table with two sets of legs. Why? Well, I asked the man if the dozen leafs sitting on top of the table all went to it. Yes, indeed. Completely pieced together, it stretches 18 feet!!!! I also had to ask him if he had ever made a roll top desk (my dream). He shook his head. He said they didn’t have the proper tools to make the roll. However, he added that he wished they did, for lots of people ask for them.

The last Amish farm was truly educational. They, too, had beautiful woodwork, most of which were beautiful hope chests carved with roses and Bible verses. Inside the shop, two signs hung. One asked for the donation of empty pint jars (for all the jams, jellies and honey they produce). The other asked for Singer treadle sewing machines. We got to talking to the woman about the machines, asking for details as there are so many quilters that come to camp, you never know what they might have. This got us an invitation into the house to see exactly what the woman would desire. I’ve certainly never been inside an Amish house. It was simple, of course, with beautiful wood floors, cabinets and a few furnishings. It was very open and the two machines she has were each sitting beside windows. Except in a museum, I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a sewing machine that doesn’t run by electricity. And now we know exactly what to look for.

The last stop we made was at a Vinegary. The man there makes homemade vinegars. These vinegars are wine based (but non alcoholic) from grapes, mixed fruits, tomatoes and anything else one can possibly think of. Once they are vinegars, he infuses them with other fruits, vegetables and herbs. We tasted dill/apple, tomato/basil, jalapeno, raspberry, cherry, sage, thyme, horseradish, ginger and a few others. All the herbs and much of fruit they grow on site. I also learned that you can grow a garden in bales of hay. That’s my kind of gardening – no weeding!


Like most field trip days, it was a bit exhausting. But it was very educational and a lot of fun. And I get to do it all over again in the fall…Lisa asked if I would like to be one of the drivers!

No comments:

Post a Comment