Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Little Irritations

Okay, so maybe it’s just me. Recently, I’ve been making my way through the television series Monk. That’s the one about the OCD detective. It’s very funny…and very scary. I don’t mean I have nightmares over murder mysteries. I just mean I often see the world just like he does. I separate my food. I put magazines, books and other things in neat rows. I alphabetize just about everything. And if I was to draw a picture of my world, I would do so with a black pen in perfectly straight lines down the paper. Just ask Katey how awful I was to play with…

So, little details can irritate me – to a point. Some things I honestly don’t care about. (I don’t use a leveler to hang my pictures. I’m not a cleaning fanatic. And I’m not big on making every little thing perfect for events, which is why women’s events at camp drive me crazy and also why I am having a short ceremony and cakes, mints, nuts and punch at my wedding.) But some things really get on my nerves.

The top on the list recently (besides women’s events at camp) is the new first class postage stamps. They’re American flags, which I 100% approve of. However, they are put on backgrounds and drawn in such a way that it’s hard to tell which way to put the stamp on the envelope. The only saving grace to not putting our beloved flag upside down are the words “USA” and “Forever” printed on the stamp. And even then, some people aren’t detailed enough to notice that and are hence sending distress signals through the mail.  


I know our United States Post Office is failing. Everything that is government run is – as history proves over and over again. Perhaps that’s the whole point of these horribly drawn flags – the USPS is trying to tell us it’s in distress. Or maybe the artist was. And the committee that approved the design. Well, I’m joining the club. I’m distressed that one of these days I’m going to put my flag upside down. Yet another reason why I would take my business elsewhere –if the USPS had competition. But that’s another soap box for another time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment