Thursday, September 19, 2013

Retreat Season

As the days grow shorter, rain darkens the skies, the temperatures stoop into the 30s and 40s at night and the leaves just start changing colors retreat season comes to camp. In a matter of one month we have four different kinds of retreats: Dads ‘n Daughters, Senior, Men’s and Women’s (which takes up two weekends). As the registrar, I have to look at the broad picture of all of them at once and yet keep my focus on the one that’s up to bat. Sometimes it does feel a little like a juggling act since no two retreats are the same. In fact, I have learned several differences between Seniors, Men and Women:

  • Seniors sign up as soon as they receive their brochure, pay in full and don’t bother me until they arrive unless they must cancel. Men trickle in last minute over the phone, only bother me with questions and most pay in full. Women sign up in droves as soon as the registration hits their mailbox, call about a million things from where they want to room to whom they want to room with to what’s for dinner to savings spots for their friend, and while most pay in full the ones that don’t hope the bill will disappear.
  • Seniors are easy to deal with as a whole since they’re well enough to come to camp, men are only difficult when they arrive for registration because most of them are lost without their wives, women are constantly ringing my phone off the hook.
  • Seniors aren’t particular about their housing aside from steps, men don’t really care where you put them as long as their with their “gang”, women want to room with this person but not that one and are very particular about their location in respect to…well, everything.
  • Seniors love whatever our kitchen fixes. Men don’t care as long as meat is on the menu. 25% of women are gluten free and want particular menus (and, honestly, I’d say only 1% are actually celiac while the rest just want to loose weight).
  • In a nutshell: seniors are like dealing with the kids all summer and you shrug most of the problems aside because they’re seniors. Men…well, they’re men. Planning ahead means nothing to do them, so my reports are in a constant state of change. Women never left elementary school – they want to be with their friends, save places to sit and complain when they don’t like the food.


Yes, I am learning a lot at camp! During senior week this week, I wondered what I would be like as an old lady. (I hoping for sweet!). I just shrug at the men. Can’t change them, so may as well do it their way. As for the women, I look at myself in the mirror and wonder how complicated I make the lives of others. I try to be a simple, easy to please sort of person; but I can’t honestly say I always enjoy my reflection.


Life is full of lessons. These are just a few more.

No comments:

Post a Comment