Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Millipedes and Frogs

I’m not actually sure what the Minnesota state insect or animal are, but I certainly have a vote. Perhaps once I get my voting status in order (which I thought I did when I got my driver’s license, but I’m thinking they didn’t read that checkbox right – or, either they don’t want another Republican in this state), I’ll cast my vote. Insect: millipede. Animal: frog.

I noticed the frogs a few weeks ago when I was tramping about camp in the dark delivering sleeping bags to men who had failed to bring one. (Either they don’t have a wife, or they slipped past without her checking their luggage.) Every step I took, a frog jumped across my path. And as it’s quite dark around camp, I was afraid I was going to step on one and end it’s life. When it rains, the frogs come out in even more abundance. For last weekend I was out after dark walking back to the office, frogs jumped out from every bush or rustled underneath the branches as I walked past. I have thought many times I should catch a few and try kissing them. One of them is bound to be a prince – right?

The millipedes started the past weekend. I know what those things are. I saw a few in the house in Texas – dried up in little curls which I dust-mopped down the hall. In my apartment here, they are quite alive and skitter their way across my living room floor. At first I just thought a few had wandered in. I caught them in a paper towel and squished them. But they came back the next night. And when I went out the next morning…well, there were more of them gathered in the cracks of the walkway by the front door than amounts to the entire population of Upsala. Yes, it was disgusting. Since then, the dozen or so that wander into my apartment at night get gathered up and unceremoniously drowned. I think word has gotten out. For while they remain in gross piles on the walkway, I’ve seen but two in my apartment tonight.


As fall progresses, who knows what other creatures I shall learn about in this state of Minnesota. Of course, the deer are coming out in droves. I see nearly half a dozen a week. Once winter sets in, the pheasants will come out and beg to be hit on the sides of the road. Stupid things fly at you when you drive by…rather like armadillos in Texas. But I don’t really blame the creatures. I love this time of year, too. Frost in the air – the leaves turning brilliant colors. A real autumn!

No comments:

Post a Comment