Tuesday, May 13, 2014

My Mom

At church on Sunday, we watched a short video clip of a man who had posted a job online entitled “Director of Operations”. He accepted resumes and set up Skype interviews. At these interviews, he presented the requirements for the job: have to work on your feet all day long with no breaks – for about 24 hours a day 7 days a week – hardly ever sleep; have degrees in medicine, finance and culinary arts and not get paid anything. The looks on the potential employees faces were looks of shock, protests of inhumanity and lots of shaking of the head. Until they were told that billions of people around the world have this job. It’s called Mother.

My mom is like that. Looking back, I know she didn’t sleep much. If she was sitting down it was because she was feeding the baby, sewing or folding laundry. By now she should have degrees in medicine, finance and culinary arts with all the temperatures she’s taken, tax returns she’s filed and meals she’s cooked. And, no, she never got paid a dime.

The older I get, the more I appreciate my mom. In the past months since my engagement, I have come to appreciate even more things about my mother. She has done so much to keep me on track and put plans in order for my wedding. She will fly to Minnesota to drive with me to Indiana and then Pennsylvania. And while she will cry at my wedding, she will also rejoice with me. Many days I wonder if I will be half the wife, and perhaps one day mother, as she has been.

Happy Mother’s Day, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment