Friday, June 16, 2017

Next Week

As if I’ve been faithfully posting blogs lately, I’m about to post a disclaimer that my few readers shouldn’t expect a posting next week. Although next week I might actually have time to post. For next week I’ll have grandparents, aunts, great aunts, a great grandfather, nephews and dogs entertaining my kids all day long. Going to one’s parent’s house might not sound like a vacation, but if someone else will keep Emry busy all day that’s all the vacation I need!

My sister would probably say I’m one to talk. For the truth is, Emry will keep herself busy for well over an hour before she starts wandering about and asking, “Mama, play?” And Ethan certainly doesn’t need to be entertained (although I try to get down on the floor and talk to my poor second born on occasion). My sister has two very active boys (ages 4 and 1) to keep track of 24/7. I’m sure she’s looking forward to being at our parent’s even more than I am!

But it is a nice break when I know Emry will be occupied and I don’t have to take that down time to clean bathrooms, vacuum floors, mop, dust, do laundry, cook dinner. Not to say our days won’t be full. Emry will have her cousins there to play with (Jay, Curtis and Benny – she’s surrounded by boys!). Presently only my sister Sally is at home, but my sister Katey will be there the whole time and sisters Jenny and Abby will come through that weekend. Plus my wonderful parents, of course. And who can forget the four dogs that reside there as well? Over the weekend, my grandfather will be around. (He’s staying at a hotel, though. He’s a little too old to deal with five kids and four dogs all day long!) And three of my dad’s sisters. (The impromptu reunion is a memorial service in Chicago over the weekend for my Aunt Julie who would have turned 100 this month but had a stroke this past March and passed away.) Who knew my parents would need more space after their kids grew up and left? Good thing they added on to the house!


So, yes, it’s going to be a very busy time away…but it’s also going to be nice to be away. I just hope I got enough books on CD for Emry – a seven hour drive could prove very exciting otherwise!

No comments:

Post a Comment