Thursday, December 21, 2017

Christmas Tradition #2: Cookies!

There is one Christmas tradition I am bringing into my family: Christmas cookies! It's not great for anyone's waistline, but what is Christmas without cookies?

Growing up, we made the same cookies every year. Several of these I have brought into my family because I love them and simply can't imagine Christmas without them. So, Spritz cookies, gingerbread cookies and Sandies have stuck around. Now I'm on a search for "new" cookies my kids can grow up with.

Last year I tried some toffee cookies, but I wasn't overly impressed. I also made some cookies Ed kept talking about: Ladies Fingers (also called Clothespin Cookies). They're very popular in the Pittsburgh area and I was able to find hundreds of recipes on Pinterest. And I made them. They were very time consuming, rather exhausting and, while they tasted wonderful, didn't look picture perfect. So, I didn't even attempt them this year. I'm thinking I may do them every other year, but if that's the case then I'm going to have to get some different supplies. Wooden spoons simply don't work very well.

This year, I pinned lots of options to try and came up with two. One is a favorite lots of people make I always love to eat and I think they'll become a Camus family tradition: Reese Peanut Butter Cups. Emry loved making these! The other was an almond shortbread, raspberry swirl thing that looked great and were even okay for a few days, but I not so brilliant that I didn't get tired of them quickly. So, next year, it's back to the drawing board.

Eventually I hope to settle on one or two other cookies that are outstanding. But, then again, maybe trying a new recipe every year should be a tradition. Who knows. Meanwhile, we'll enjoy what we have (and exercise a lot...!)

Emry decorating the Spritz cookies.

Emry and her grandma Camus making gingerbread cookies.

Emry putting the Reese cups in the Peanut Butter Cookies.

Ethan's contribution: eating the cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment