Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Snow!!!

It snowed. Like real snow. Like three inches of it. Like more snow than Emry has seen in all three winters of her life. I must confess, I’m amazed. Despite old pictures, I was beginning to think Pittsburgh didn’t get snow except as a random inch now and then. I AM SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!

And I’m not the only one. Yes, yes, yes. It is a hassle to get kids ready to play in the snow. The list of clothing goes on forever: extra socks, a pair of mittens (or two), snowpants, coat, hat, scarf, boots. Sometimes it takes more time to get them dressed and out the door than the amount of time they actually spend in the snow. But I was not about to let my kids miss this perhaps-once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity. Besides, Emry has been hoping and praying for snow for weeks! (Yes, yes, yes. So has her mama.)

So, we bundled up. First Emry. Then Ethan. Then me. That alone was a good morning exercise routine. Then we clomped outside, Emry adjusting her walk to her new boots, Ethan squirming even though the very thickness of everything he had on shouldn’t have allowed for that and me. SNOW!!!!!!

It wasn’t a sticky snow. So, no snowmen. And the only snowballs were formed from shoveling and broke apart once we picked them up. It wasn’t too cold. Right at freezing. So, for my kids who I take for walks in nearly all weather, it wasn’t a big deal. Obviously. Ethan was delighted when I put him down so he could squirm wherever he wished. (He managed quite well on the shoveled sidewalk – not so well in the actual snow. Three inches is right in his face as he wiggled about in his typical military-style crawl.) And Emry? Well, that wasn’t the only time she would bundle up and head outside that day. Before it was over, she went out three different times, plopping down in the middle of the snow and playing whatever her imagination conjured up.

I have kids after my own heart. We all LOVE SNOW!!!!!


Here we are!

 
Emry and Ethan.

Ethan enjoying his time outside.

Emry hunting for snowballs.


And one more snow delight – snow ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment