Friday, December 1, 2017

Traditions

I was raised in a family with lots of traditions. That part of our blood comes from my dad’s side of the family. The Catholic side. Because to Catholics tradition is everything. It’s more than the Bible. It’s more than the Pope. I think it’s even more than Mary…and that’s saying a lot.

That said, I find myself loathe to simply ditch traditions and somehow just let Christmas evolve. Although I would have to say that many of the traditions my family holds did just that: evolve. I’m pretty sure my parents never sat down and said the tree must be put up when Navy plays Army. Or gingerbread cookies must be made the day after Thanksgiving. Or only certain cookies must be made – no more and no less. Even though we are now all adults, we still seem to hold to “tradition”, even such “traditions” that have only been around for nine years (as long as they’ve lived in Indiana). Like where to put the tree now that Mom has placed a china cabinet in that location. There may be a mutiny if she decides to place it somewhere else…even though only my sister Sally actually lives at home and the rest of us simply return for the holiday.

So, the truth is, many of what may become my family’s traditions will likely evolve over the years. After all, Emry is only two and Ethan a mere ten months next week. They don’t know a tradition from a hole in the wall. And yet…I’ve been given traditions a lot of thought.

Maybe it’s because of a book I just finished reading. I picked it up because the title looked interesting: Christmas a Biography by Judith Flanders. If you haven’t read it, don’t bother. I can summarize quite simply. After many rabbit trails and chapters that didn’t seem to stay on topic, her conclusion is this: Christmas comes from everything and nothing. It certainly isn’t religious and those who try to make it so are idiots. But don’t commercialize it either for that’s just being greedy. All that said, Christmas means nothing, stands for nothing and is nothing. Bah! Humbug!

Now I’m not going to argue that Christmas is all about Christ’s birth versus it being a pagan holiday Christians turned around and made their own. Nor am I going to argue over putting up trees, giving gifts or singing Silent Night versus Jingle Bells. But we are going to celebrate the traditional Christmas of Christians in history past. We are going to celebrate Christ’s birth, the Gift God gave to us so we could be saved. Because if we do not stop one day a year to do so, our human nature will take over and we’re likely to never stop and celebrate. Which is wrong. Because, sadly, I need to be reminded to stop and contemplate the amazing Gift of God’s Son. And to take time almost every day as we count down on Emry’s paper chain, bake cookies, read Christmas stories, play with the Little People nativity and sing carols to tell my children of the wonderful Gift of God’s Son.

So, tradition #1: Celebrate Christmas.

I’ll think of #2 later…

No comments:

Post a Comment