Thursday, August 30, 2018

The Amazing Human Body

In school I remember being amazed at animals that could grow another leg if they lost one or another tail. Some (like a sea cucumber) can be cut in pieces and each piece will be a new sea cucumber! Now that is pretty amazing.

But, I have to say, I am currently amazed at how God created the human body. Unless you count giving birth (and your body does heal from that…sort of), I’ve never done anything very damaging to my body until that fight with the immersion blender. It was truly nasty. The top digit of my left pointer finger was pretty shredded like it had been caught in a…mmh, blender. I didn’t really mind when the orthopedic decided against stitching it as I had really seen more than enough of the inside of a doctor’s office by that time, but I did have to wonder how well “give it four weeks” meant as far as actual healing. It’s been three weeks, and I honestly think if I have a scar left to prove my stupidity, it will be so small no one will ever notice it.

Truly, it is amazing how the human body heals itself. The nail has grown back. The shredded skin has pieced itself back together with hardly a mark. The only things remaining are the outer layers of my skin that will cover the rather sickening under skin and the nerve system connecting back in the place. It’s the latter I’m the most interested in. Right now my finger feels like I still have a bandage on it. Typing rather hurts. Catching it on anything (including the inside of Ethan’s fist) is quite painful. It kind of tingles at times. I still tend to not use it very much, although I make a concerted effort to try to in hopes that will bring everything to rights sooner rather than later. It’s really amazing how many little things one small area of a finger entails…and how well it heals.

It’s also kind of humbling that it takes a fight with a dangerous kitchen tool to make me realize how amazing God has created the human body. And that’s just a finger!

No comments:

Post a Comment