Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Art Class

I always wanted to be crafty. But I have to confess that the only reason I liked the art teacher visiting in school was because it was a change in pace. I honestly can’t remember any piece of art or craft I did in school that I really loved. Fast forward several years into my teens and our short time spent in Massachusetts. My sister Katey had a whole corner of the attic full of more arts and craft stuff than you could shake a stick at. She even sold candles (among other things)! And I sat in my room scribbling stories like a mad person, wishing with all my heart I could freeze (or die of heat exhaustion) in an attic making beautiful things people wanted to buy. All I could do was scribble stories I’m still not sure anyone really wants to read.

But I’m just not crafty. Pinterest was invented for people like me who have to stare at a picture of something crafty and then make a prayerfully vain attempt at trying to re-create that picture. While I haven’t failed miserably at any of my attempts, I also don’t post pictures of my re-creations. And, I admit, I keep my attempts on a very low level. No use aiming for what I know I can’t hope to obtain.

Still, I am hoping my kids prove to be a little more crafty than I. If coloring is any indication, Emry is a hopeless cause but Ethan shows some promise. Thankfully, I have learned one thing as a mom: cut up some pieces of colored paper, provide some glue and a large sheet of paper and voila! Instant art project.

Still, I am trying to stretch myself. And I’m also trying to entertain not just my kids but my nephew on these very cold days in order to prevent them (and me) from going crazy. So, last week for Thanksgiving we made turkeys. And this week we made Christmas trees and Christmas count-down chains. Cut up paper, glue, sequins, a stapler. Not exactly Pinterest worthy…but, boy, am I exhausted! Being an artist is strenuous work. No wonder I never got excited about it…

Paper turkeys…


Christmas trees with sequins – everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment