Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Flashcards

I’m sure we all have memories of flashcards. Probably not fond ones. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s the constant repetition. Or the fact that one had to do them day after day after day. I remember doing them. I remember having to do them with my siblings, which was probably worse. No one likes flashcards – right?

Well, if you had asked me that two weeks ago, I would have agreed with that assessment. I had met no one who liked flashcards. Then I started flashcards with Emry. I was dreading it. As if penmanship doesn’t cause enough tears. Or some days reading. I introduced them by telling her they would help her learn all the math problems she was doing on her drills, not supposing a 4-year-old would understand the logic of that. But it certainly sounded good. And, I guess, made sense.

Because Emry loves flashcards. She wants to do them every day. She’s excited when I pull them out. She’s delighted when I add new ones. And, the other day, when her math introduced subtraction she turned to me and said matter-of-factly, “Mama, I need flashcards so I can learn these.”

I won’t deny it. I think she’s a little strange…

No comments:

Post a Comment