Monday, March 30, 2020

Sad...

If I get to go for a walk, I usually head down to the nearby park which has a trail around a little pond, a playground, tennis and basketball courts, baseball fields, and one of the town pools. It has been lovely to get out this past week, seeing robins and other birds flying about, forsythia bursting into yellow, tiny green buds on some trees, and the grass turning brilliant spring green. On Sunday morning, I had the opportunity for one such walk. I went up near the playground that day and saw a sign posted. You may have seen a similar one, stating parks are closed on account of whatever-governor’s orders. I sighed and continued on with my walk.

Sunday was a windy day, but the sun came out and warmed the earth so many people were out. My kids played out in the yard for hours. It was nice and more normal than past days had been. This morning I went out for another walk. As I walked around the trail at the park, I looked up at the playground on the hill and saw the saddest thing of the past two weeks I have seen so far:



Doubtless, kids had been caught playing on the playground during the lovely Sunday weather and so the town felt it important to give a better warning than a mere sign…to remind parents and kids alike that kids are no longer allowed to enjoy their childhood.

This is not a sign of the virus.

This is a sign of fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment