Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Kids will be Kids?

Yesterday I needed to discipline Emry during rest time…and couldn’t find one wooden spoon in the whole house. Well, one was in the sink and another was in Ethan’s room where he was napping, but the other two or three? Usually there is one on my shorter bookshelf, ready for use at such times. But I had no idea where it had disappeared to. Or the others. I had to make use of another object.

In our house, things disappear a lot. Usually toys. They end up under the couch…or in it. Behind a bed, under a shelf, in a drawer (like Emry’s Disney princess race cars which Ethan decided to put in one of her drawers – don’t ask me why). Much to my surprise, very few of our toys have ended up lost forever. A good cleaning of a room or look under a bed turns up just about everything that was missing. My Catholic grandmother would be disappointed: St. Anthony has never been needed.

Well, today the spoons turned up. Under my bed. Emry remembered my paper punches, which she enjoys playing with, and asked if she could get them out. As I was pushing the container out from under my bed, out came the wooden spoons. They certainly had not been there just over a week ago when I was cleaning my room from top to bottom. Sooo… 

I picked them up and held them out to Emry. “Emry, did you know these were there?”

She just gave me one of those looks. One that speaks louder than words. 

And I put the spoons in a very safe spot. Not under my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment