Monday, August 17, 2009

Well, I have survived. Don’t ask me what exactly I did today, but I made it through my first day of work.

Getting to work was easy this morning. I was fifteen minutes early, but that was okay. Now I know the way and how long it will take me to get there, so I will leave five minutes later tomorrow just to see how traffic will be five minutes later.

The first couple of hours entailed paperwork for me to fill out and reading some of the employee’s manual. All I can say is I am so happy not 90% of it applies to me since I’m not a nurse. For I have officially decided (as if I didn’t know this before) I am not going to become a nurse. After that I met with Mr. Harris, my boss, for a while to have a few things explained. Then I started “work”. Well, we’ll call it work but mostly it was doing odd things just to get a taste of it all and feeling like I was listening to a foreign language.

Office work isn’t bad. I’ll get used to that real soon. Putting in data and filing papers is second nature. The problem is understanding what I am filing where, what all the date exactly means, and how to find everything. It’s still Greek to me. Lots of numbers, and acronyms, and realizing (as if I didn’t know this already) how complicated government healthcare already is. Those people in Washington should spend one day in my shoes – they’d reconsider “healthcare reform” real fast.

The people I work with are real nice. There’s Dinah who’s the administrator of the nurses. I met two of the nurses, both who seemed very nice. Then there’s Tori who is setting up the home health service the company will soon be providing. Jane is the new social worker. She is a little younger than me and just started fulltime this week. We went to lunch and immediately found common ground: the dazed looks we both wear on our faces. My “personal trainer” is Allan. He spins circles and has piles everywhere. I’m not sure if that makes me more confused or less, but at least he’s helpful. Oh, and my boss. I’ve always found Mr. Harris to be a kind man.

So, I came home overwhelmed, but I left work at work. Had dinner with Grandpa, talked to him for a while, went for a jog, took a shower and am now doing a few odd things before I hit the sack. All in all, not a bad day.

We’ll see what tomorrow is like….

No comments:

Post a Comment